COVID-19 Exposure Action Plan for Eagle Employees
We take the health and safety of our employees very seriously and want to assure you that we are continuing to monitor available US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) guidance on the Coronavirus pandemic. We have implemented the following Exposure Action Plan (Plan) to minimize COVID-19 exposure to our employees while at work, and to safeguard our operations.
The following communication was presented to, and acknowledged by all Eagle employees:
If you develop a fever and symptoms of respiratory illness, such as cough or shortness of breath, call your health-care provider right away. Likewise, if you come into close contact with someone showing these symptoms, call your health-care provider right away.
OSHA and the CDC have provided several control and preventative guidances to all workers and employers, regardless of exposure risk. Eagle has implemented the following requirements for all employees and contractors/visitors to our facility, which are outlined in SOP 2.800.10 Public Health Emergency Company Protocols:
- Wear a mask or face covering in all common spaces, unless at your desk in a private office or eating/drinking
- Frequently wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. When soap and running water are unavailable, use an alcohol-based hand rub with at least 60% alcohol. Always wash hands that are visibly soiled
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth with unwashed hands
- Follow appropriate respiratory etiquette which includes covering for coughs
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick
Precautions at Work
We are asking every one of our employees to help with our prevention efforts while at work. In order to minimize the spread of COVID-19 in the workplace, Eagle has instituted the following policies and practices, which have been in effect since March 11, 2020:
- Eagle will continue to ensure an adequate supply of tissues, trash receptacles, alcohol-based hand sanitizers and/or
- Eagle is a GMP facility that follows strict regular housekeeping practices, both in our routine operations and during the coronavirus pandemic
- Eagle will continue to clean and disinfect frequently used surfaces, equipment, and other elements of the work environment with an EPA-approved disinfectant against COVID-19. Employees should similarly regularly do the same in their assigned work areas
- Employees should limit the use of coworkers’ workstations, computers, phones, desks, offices, tools, or equipment as much as possible
- Eagle will provide antibody testing to all employees, at no cost to the employee, and to PCCA personnel, such as HR and IT who frequently visit our facility. Antibody testing will be conducted onsite at Eagle on Tuesday, June 2nd, 2020
- Mandatory temperature checks will be implemented. All personnel will undergo temperature screenings at randomized and periodically
- Eagle’s facility is designed to maintain physical distancing, and additional physical distancing measures such as separation of break areas and spacing of Eagle’s Nest desks were implemented on March 23, 2020. Eagle will continue to require that employees maintain 6 feet of physical distancing
Exposure Response (Confirmed or Otherwise)
Eagle urges employees that are exhibiting COVID-19 symptoms to seek medical attention and/or obtain a COVID-19 test.
Employee Exhibiting COVID-19 Symptoms
If an employee exhibits COVID-19 symptoms, the employee must remain at home until he or she is symptom-free for 72-hours without the use of fever-reducing or other symptom-altering medicines (e.g. cough suppressants). Eagle will similarly require an employee that reports to work with symptoms to return home until 72-hour symptom-free. To the extent practical, employees are required to obtain a COVID-19 test and a doctor’s note clearing them to return to work. Eagle will assist employee’s efforts in obtaining a test for COVID-19.
Employee Tests Positive for COVID-19
Employees that test positive for COVID-19 will be directed to self-quarantine away from work.
Positive Test and Asymptomatic
Employees that test positive and are symptom-free may return to work when at least 7 days have passed since the date of his or her first positive test, and have not had a subsequent illness. Eagle will require employees to test negative for COVID-19 prior to returning to work, and provide documentation to Eagle and HR.
Positive Test and Recovering at Home
Employees that test positive and are directed to care for themselves at home may return to work when: (1) At least 72 hours have passed since recovery and (2) at least 7 days have passed since symptoms first appeared. Eagle will require employees to test negative for COVID-19 prior to returning to work, and provide documentation to Eagle and HR.
Positive Test and Hospitalization
Employees that test positive and have been hospitalized may return to work when directed to do so by their medical care provider. Eagle will require the employee to test negative for COVID-19 and provide documentation to Eagle and HR clearing them to return to work.
Employee Has Close Contact with a Tested Positive COVID-19 Individual
Employees that have come into close contact with a confirmed-positive COVID-19 individual (coworker or otherwise), will be directed to self-quarantine for 14 days from the last date of close contact with the carrier. Close contact is defined as 6 feet for a prolonged period of time.
If Eagle learns that an employee has tested-positive, Eagle will conduct an investigation into coworkers that may have had close contact with the confirmed-positive employee in the prior 14 days and direct those individuals that have had close contact with the confirmed-positive employee to self-quarantine for 14 days from the last date of close contact with the carrier.
If an employee learns that he or she has come into close contact with a confirmed-positive individual outside of the workplace, he or she must alert HR of the close contact and also self-quarantine for 14 days from the last date of close contact with the carrier.
Eagle employees who come into close contact with a confirmed-positive COVID-19 individual will be required to test negative for COVID-19 after the 14 day incubation period before returning to work, and provide documentation to Eagle and HR.
Post Exposure Response
As described above, Eagle facilities are designed to maintain physical distancing and high levels of cleanliness and cleanability. Eagle has tested our environment (laboratory and office areas) for levels of airborne particulates, which consistently meet an ISO-8 classification. Eagle cleans and disinfects our facilities and frequently used surfaces, equipment, and other elements of the work environment on an ongoing and routine basis.
OSHA has indicated that there is typically no need to perform special cleaning or decontamination of work environments when a person suspected of having COVID-19 has been present unless those environments are visibly contaminated with blood or other body fluids.
Recovery is defined as: (1) resolution of fever with the use of fever-reducing medications; and (2) improvement in respiratory symptoms (e.g., cough, shortness of breath).
Accordingly, under ordinary circumstances, if Eagle learns that a confirmed-positive individual has been present in the workplace, Eagle will clean those areas of the work environment that the confirmed-positive individual may have come into contact with before employees can access that workspace. Eagle has extensive expertise in microbiology, cleaning, disinfection, and sterilization, and is as qualified as external vendors in cleaning and disinfection practices.
Who We Are
Eagle consultants and scientists are helping compounding facilities implement successful quality systems. Our team has over 200 years of combined experience in the FDA-regulated pharmaceutical industry and can provide guidance in establishing the systems and processes that will help facilities producing compounded medications meet and exceed regulatory expectations. Follow the link below to learn more about our consulting services.